Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: help me to locate 604's

  1. #1
    Inactive Member tinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello all,

    I'm new to this board, and my appologies for my first post being an ask for help. I am looking for a decent 604 pair. I do not like using eBay because there are so many indecencies and hypes, especially around famous items such as Altec Lancing products.

    A pair of 604-8G's in 620 enclosures were used in a broadcasting station I worked for from late 80's to early 90's. I quit the job but I cannot forget the wonderful sound from the speakers. No commercial or professional monitors currently offered deliver the performance of 604's, at least to my ears. I would like to use them again for my home studio.

    If Mr. Todd or anyone could help me to locate a pair, or suggest likely sources, I would very much appreciate. If I would indeed have to resort to eBay, the information would be of valuable help. I'd prefer E or G versions but H/K would do, too. Crossovers need not be included.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello!

    Welcome to the Board!

    Used Altec 604's are, as you know, a bit hard to come by, but I wouldn't shy away from eBay, at least not totally.

    If you buy from a reputable seller (and there are some who are not: there's one in particular that it is my considered opinion that NO ONE should buy from), then you can have Bill at Great Plains Audio rebuild them. Barring any actual damage to the mechanical (hardware) portion of them, you can have him put all new moving parts (software), and they will perform like new.

    Would you, perhaps, be interested in something NEW?
    Cabinets are another matter altogether.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member tinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello,

    Why, yes! But NEW 604...? It can't be a NOS pair so you mean current production? I've heard a certain manufacturer is producing, or at least trying to produce, professional Altec lines somewhere in Asia... Well, if it is you who recommend I won't worry overmuch. The price would be another concern however.

    If the price for the new units is too much for me then Great Plains Audio would be my rescue. I have a friend whose A-7 was restored by GPA and I remember that it was a job exceptionally well done. But would you please say more about this new 604? I am all too excited!

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    No, these are NOT ChiCom clones - they are new production, 16" two-way models produced by former Altec employees on the same tooling Altec used. There will be a formal announcement about them soon. In the meantime, e-mail me privately for pricing and availability (we have cabinets, too!).

  5. #5
    Inactive Member tinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks a lot! You've got mail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.